The Town Attorney provides legal services for the Town of Vestal and its special districts and the Town Planning Board. Although the Town Attorney interacts with residents and business entities regarding municipal issues on a daily basis, and provides countless written and oral responses to their inquiries, a Town Attorney cannot act as their attorney for private matters. Thus, for private issues and conflicts, one must retain a private attorney. The outline below provides general information about some of the areas within which the Town Attorney works.  

Areas of Legal Services:

Litigation – Initiate, coordinate and defend actions and proceedings for the Town in all levels of court –Federal, State and Town

Drafting, Reviewing and Administration – Negotiate, prepare and review all legal documents for the Town of Vestal such as town board resolutions, contracts, agreements, deeds and leases.

Legal Counsel – Provide legal assistance and guidance to the Supervisor, the Town Board, and all other Town Departments, Boards, Committees, Officials, employees and volunteers.

Insurance Administration – Assist with the Town’s risk management and insurance programs and coverage. Also review of claims against the Town.

Legislation – Assist with the development and drafting of proposed legislation, rules, regulations and policies for both Town programs and operation, and also review legislation, rules and regulations of other governmental agencies which may impact the Town. Review legislative proposals submitted by outside agencies, individuals and special interest groups.

Tax Certiorari – Assist in the review of yearly tax challenges against the Town Assessor, and coordinate the defense of these property tax challenges.

Real Property – Draft real property instruments, including deeds, leases and easements for Town transactions.

Legal Research – Conduct legal research on behalf of the Town Supervisor, Town Board Department Heads and employees.

Local Law Prosecution – Prosecute Local Law violations on behalf of various Town Departments.